- This event has passed.
Brainiacs STEM Summer Camp 2017 – An Integrated STEM Camp Beyond Coding
July 24 @ 8:00 am - September 1 @ 2:00 pm
STEM Summer Camp 2017 – An Integrated STEM Camp Beyond Coding
The six (6) weeks of long summer vacation is often characterised by slide in academics. Parents are usually worried about what activities they can engage their wards, to ensure that the vacation time is gainfully utilised.
Brainiacs STEM & Robotics is aware of this challenge and since 2016 has being organising Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Mathematics [STEM] summer camps for children and young adults between the age of 5 and 16 years across the country. The camp focuses on inculcating basic tenets of curiosity and reasoning: two keys skills required by every child for a successful future career. The sessions will be fun-based combining both play and learning to guarantee the needed engagement desired by both parents and wards.
Brainiacs Summers camps will take place in multiple locations mostly in collaboration with partners with technology and innovation hubs. The Theme for the year’s camp is: Nurturing creativity and innovation in Nigerian Youths. During the camps, learners will be exposed to the following key areas of learning:
- Electronic Circuit design and Introduction to Internet of Things (IoT)
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Who should Attend?
Learners in the Beginner’s (5-10years) and Intermediate (11-16years) groups will have the opportunity to work with well-trained Brainiacs instructors to expand their skills in multiple dimensions.
What would they learn?
- Learning Java programming with Greenfoot.
- Developing video games using Kodu Game Lab.
- Solve engineering challenges by working in teams to build, test and program Lego Mindstorm EV-3 and Vex Robotics and so much more.
Over the course of the Camp learners will gain:
- Leadership skills through STEM design challenges
- Communication techniques that allow them to share science concepts with their peers
- Scientific collaboration and basic engineering skills
- Analytical reasoning
- Teamwork and problem solving experience
STEM education prepares students in competencies and skills in the four disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). A successful STEM education provides students with science, math, and engineering/technology in sequences that build upon each other and can be used with real-world applications. Some benefits of STEM education include:
- It creates critical thinkers, increases science literacy, and enables the next generation of innovators.
- It fosters creativity and promote love for science and mathematics amongst students.
- It encourages students to embrace problem solving mind-set which is important as the world is faced with numerous challenges which demands immediate solution.
- It prepares students for future jobs in STEM related fields.
- It breaks the traditional gender roles and bridge ethnic and gender gaps.
Brainiacs STEM camps 2017 will focus on 21st Century educational technology. The delivery of the program will feature the following key attributes of edtech:
Adaptive Learning: We plan to accommodate learning from all levels of technology proficiency. From those that have working knowledge of computers and other STEM tools to those that are new. To ensure everyone enjoys and benefits from the programs, instructors will evaluate and adapt material and level of support to suite individual child’s capability and experience.
Gamification: The principle of gamification will be adopted where learners can learn while having fun. Activities such as puzzles, quizzes, drag and drop will be used to motivate learners.
Bring Your Own Device: Although we will make effort to provide good quantity of hardware to go round learners, we also encourage learners to bring their devices (tablets and computers) especially for coding and programming classes. Our instructors will install relevant software for learners to help with learning both during and after the camp.
- Date – 24th July 2017*– 30th August 2017
- Timing – 10.00am – 2.0pm
– Dates for specific events will announced in various locations advertisements.
– Sessions will hold only on weekdays – Monday to Friday
Brainiacs STEM Summer Camp Cities and Venues:
Brainiacs STEM summer camps are confirmed to hold in the following cities and locations:
- Abuja: – Robotics Summer Camp in partnership with Start-up Gamji
- Bauchi – Uplift Hub Federal Polytechnic Bauchi in collaboration with Uplift Nigeria.
- Jos – Brainiacs Creativity Hub, No. 8 Ahmadu Bello Way, Jos
- Kaduna – Kaduna International School in partnership with Startup Arewa
- Kano – Blue Hub Sharada Kano, in partnership with Start-up Kano
– Surulere in partnership with Carisma4U
– Maryland in partnership with Roboconsult.org
– 21b Idowu Martins (Mothercare Center) Victoria Island, Lagos
Great Take Away
Participants will be issued certificates at the end of the programme. They will also be given all relevant software
used during the session, electronic copy of hand outs and 10hrs of mock projects for practice at home. This is worth over N30,000 if it were to be purchased. To register your wards, please go to: Summer Camp Registration form. You can also get 10% discount if you register 2 or more wards. Don’t miss this great opportunity to shape your children’s lives. Register your wards today.
For sponsorship and partnership opportunities contact us at phone no +234 9091095057 and STEMCamps@brainiacs.com.ng